As all may know, Vietnam Government officially exempted Vietnam visa for UK, Spanish, German, Italian and French from July 1, 2015 with the first period of 1 year. After that, it was extended for another 1 year starting from July 1, 2016. This extension duration will be soon expired on this June 30. However, its expiration does not mean an end to this policy. Recently, the Vietnam Government has decided to extend this policy for another 1 year.
Accordingly, all UK, Spanish, German, Italian or French passport holders continues to get Vietnam visa exemption from now on until June 30, 2018 if:
- Their passport is valid for at least 6 months since their arrival in Vietnam;
- Their arrival date does not fall within 30 days from exit date of their last stay in Vietnam with visa exemption.
In addition, those nationals and others are also entitled to 30-day visa exemption if they directly travel to Phu Quoc island of Vietnam from any external country/territory. After that, if they wish to visit other destination(s) in Vietnam, they can request a visa on spot.
Tips: What if those nationals wish to stay in Vietnam for more than 15 days?
There will be 2 cases:
1. If they wish to stay for no more than 30 days:
- They can obtain a Vietnam e-visa, which is just for tourists with single entry;
- They can obtain a Vietnam visa on arrival, which is just for those traveling to Vietnam by air; OR
- They can obtain a Vietnam visa at Vietnam embassy, which is maybe just convenient for those very close to Vietnam Embassy.
2. If they wish to stay for more than 30 days:
- They can obtain a Vietnam visa on arrival, which is just for those traveling to Vietnam by air;
- They must obtain Vietnam visa at Vietnam embassy if they do not travel to Vietnam by air.
A brief comparison between these two ways can be found here: https://www.vietnam-visa.com/why-use-vietnam-visa-on-arrival-service/.