Need to keep you connected while traveling in Vietnam, Vietnam eSIM data plan is the best!
If you are traveling to Vietnam and need connectivity for your stay, you could buy a physical Vietnam SIM card or even better a Vietnam eSIM Card with a prepaid data plan.
The latter type of tourist SIM card for Vietnam offers you a lot of advantages, including
- You are NOT required to ask for wifi passwords of your destinations.
- You are NOT required to wait in any queue to get a physical SIM card – activate your eSIM data plan via email and use it immediately!
- You get INSTANT connectivity after receiving your QR activation code sent straight to your email.
However, before buying an eSIM Vietnam, please ensure your mobile device is eSIM compatible.
- What is exactly eSIM Card? What are its Pros and Cons?
- Is eSim available in Vietnam?
- What are eSIM Compatible devices?
- How much does a Vietnam eSIM cost?
- How to use Vietnam eSIM?
- How to buy Vietnam eSIM?
- FAQs about Vietnam eSIM?
Discover now with us!
What is Esim? Why esim for your travel?
An eSIM stands for Embedded Subscriber Identity Module, is a small chip digitally embedded on your phone. It works as a SIM Card but you cannot hold it with your hands, see it with your eyes or remove it from your phone.
With this feature, rather than inserting a new SIM Card to join a new mobile network, you can instead download an eSIM profile, install it on your phone and then join the mobile network.
An eSIM can hold multiple eSIM profiles, but it’s advisable to have up to 3 eSIM profiles in one device. However, only 1 eSIM profile will be active at any given time.
As you cannot do anything with the eSIM chip, but eSIM profiles. Additionally, users are now widely referring eSIM profiles to as eSIMs, so, we will use eSIM in the meaning of an eSIM profile hereinunder for your easy follow.
More and more devices support eSIM now, including phones, ipads, laptops, cars, etc. But in this post, we will guide you through eSIM for phones.
There are two kinds of eSIM, which are:
- Data eSIM, and
- Voice, SMS, and Data eSIM.
In this post, we will guide you through the DATA ESIM which is currently preferred by a lot of travelers.
First of all, let’s clarify what are the PROs and CONs of a data eSIM to be installed on your device:
|✔Keep your original SIM for calls – The eSIM is digital, so your original SIM will work as usual if you need it.|
✔No queue at any physical store & No show of passport for registration – Get the QR code via email immediately after your payment for installation on your phone.
✔Get connected immediately – Activate your eSIM when landing in Vietnam and get connected immediately.
✔Cost-effective: Save money on international roaming charges by using eSIM at a reasonable price. Multiple networks: Automatic switch to the strongest local networks. Stay connected everywhere.
✔Get your full trip covered by VinaPhone – One of the 2 biggest mobile network operators in Vietnam.
✔Keep your WhatsApp number: You can make calls or send messages to all contacts on your WhatsApp, like you are at home.
|❌No data sharing: normally the data eSIM does not come with tethering/hotspot, but Vietnam-visa’s eSIMs do.|
❌ Your phone must be compatible with the eSIM: Make sure that your phone is unlocked and listed in the supported devices below.
❌No local phone number: Normally, the data eSIM includes data only. It does not allow you to make cell phone calls or send SMS messages. You can still use WhatsApp, Viber or Skype to call your contacts. However, pelase remember that Vietnam-visa’s eSIM comes with a local phone number to receive calls and SMS.
Is Esim available in Vietnam?
Yes. All big mobile network operators in Vietnam, consisting of Viettel, Vinaphone, MobiFone and Vietnamobile are offering eSIM.
There are several Vietnam eSIM providers, including Vietnam-visa with 3 outstanding packages as follows:
|Vietnam eSIM Data plans||GIGA4||GIGA12||GIGA120|
|Validity||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|Cost||US $9||US $15||US $25|
|Best time to buy||Within 30 days of departure or when you are in Vietnam||Within 30 days of departure or when you are in Vietnam||Within 7 days of departure or when you are in Vietnam|
|Benefits||✔ 4GB of high-speed data |
✔a Vietnamese phone number to receive calls and SMS
|✔ 12GB of high-speed data|
✔a Vietnamese phone number to receive calls and SMS
|✔ 120GB of high-speed data (4GB/day) |
✔a Vietnamese phone number offering
+ FREE receipt of calls and SMS
+ FREE first 20 minutes of every domestic on-net calls
+ FREE 50 minutes of domestic off-net calls
+ can be topped up for making calls and sending SMS
ESIM Compatible devices
It’s great that more and more smartphones, tablets, and laptops are equipped with an eSIM card. If your device is included in the list below and unlocked, congratulations. Just buy an eSIM and go!
- iPhone XR (model A2105, from 2018)*
- iPhone XS (model A2097, from 2018)*, iPhone XS Max (model A2101, from 2018)*
- iPhone 11 (model A2221, from 2019)*, iPhone 11 Pro (model A2215, from 2019)*
- iPhone SE 2 (model 2020)
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 (dual eSIM), iPhone 13 mini (dual eSIM), iPhone 13 Pro (dual eSIM), iPhone 13 Pro Max (dual eSIM)
- iPhone 14
- iPad Pro 11″ (model A2068, from 2020)
- iPad Pro 12.9″ (model A2069, from 2020)
- iPad Air (model A2123, from 2019)
- iPad (model A2198, from 2019)
- iPad Mini (model A2124, from 2019)
*iPhones purchased from China or Hong Kong are dual sim, with no eSIM.
- Samsung Galaxy S20*, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G, Samsung Galaxy S21+ Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Fold
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Samsung Watch (through Samsung wearable application)
*The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G or 5G is not compatible with eSIM.
*Samsung Galaxy S20 Hybrid Dual SIM – Samsung produces both eSIM and no eSIM versions.
- Google Pixel 2 (only phones bought with Google Fi service), Google Pixel 2 XL
- Google Pixel 3 (not including phones bought in Australia, Taiwan or Japan. Phones bought with US or Canadian carriers other than Spring and Google Fi don’t work with eSIM), Google Pixel 3 XL
- Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL (purchased in South East Asia)
- Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4 XL
- Google Pixel 5, Google Pixel 5a
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
*Pixel 3A purchased in South East Asia
- Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro
- Huawei P50 Pro
- Huawei Mate 40 Pro
*Huawei P40 Pro+ has no eSIM support.
- Motorola Razr 2019
- Nuu Mobile X5
- Gemini PDA
- Rakuten Mini
- Oppo Find X3 Pro
- Oppo Reno 5A
- Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G
- Microsoft Surface Pro X, Go 2, Pro LTE Advanced
- Acer Swift 3, 7
- Asus Mini Transformer
- Asus NovaGo
- Asus VivoBook Flip 14
- HP Elitebook G5
- HP Probook G5
- HP Zbook G5
- HP Specter Folio 13
- Lenovo Yoga C630, 520
- Lenovo Miix 630
- Lenovo Flex 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Book 2
How to use Vietnam esim for your trip?
To use a Vietnam eSIM, please set up the eSIM profile on your device before departure and then activate it upon arrival in Vietnam to enjoy the internet connection. Please find the detailed setup instructions below. But, before starting the steps below, please keep in mind that:
- Your device must be connected to the Internet when you install the eSIM on your device.
- Your primary sim data should be turned off when your data eSIM is in use (you probably don’t want to pay roaming fee).
- Validity of your eSIM starts from the time you activate it, so don’t activate your eSIM until you are in Vietnam.
Now, let’s see what you need to do to use the Vietnam tourist eSIM:
1. Use Vietnam eSIM on iPhones
To use a Vietnam tourist data esim on iPhones, you must complete the 2 steps below:
1.1 Install the eSIM on your iPhone
- Go to Settings > Cellular Data
- Tap Add Cellular Plan
- Scan the QR code
- Add the data plan to your phone
- Label your eSIM, and turn your eSIM off.
1.2 Active your eSIM
- Go to your Vietnam eSIM, and enable Turn On This Line.
- Turn on Data Roaming of your eSIM.
- Activate the eSIM plan as guided
- Go to Settings >> Cellular Data >> Select your Vietnam eSIM. Remember to turn the Allow Cellular Data Switching to avoid roaming charge from your primary number.
- Turn the Airplane Mode ON and then OFF, and enable the Mobile data to enjoy the internet in Vietnam.
2. Use Vietnam eSIM on Android devices
You also need to follow 2 steps to use the eSIM on an android device:
2.1 Install eSIM on your device
- Go to Settings >> Network & internet
- Tap + next to Mobile Network
- Tap Don’t have a SIM Card? in case your phone has no other SIM card or Download a SIM instead? In case one SIM card is available on your phone.
- Scan the QR code
- Tap Continue to add this data plan to your phone.
- Turn off your eSIM
2.2. Activate your eSIM
- Go to Settings > Network & internet à your eSIM and turn it on
- Activate the eSIM plan as guided
- Turn on Data roaming of your eSIM 2.4 Turn the Airplane Mode ON and then OFF, and enable the Mobile data to enjoy the internet in Vietnam
Please be informed that the steps above may slightly differ depending on the smartphone model & carrier. If you encounter any issues or have questions on how to install and activate the eSIM, please contact our customer support.
👉To get illustrations, please download this instruction.
How can I buy an eSIM for Vietnam?
It’s very easy to buy a data tourist eSIM for Vietnam. It’s will be completely done in 3 steps below
Frequently Asked Questions
Once you make payment for your eSIM, you will receive your Vietnam eSIM QR code sent to your registered email within a few minutes. Then just need to scan the QR code to activate the SIM. Note that no refunds can be made once you purchase your eSIM.
In case you do not receive the email, please let us know via email@example.com.
Yes, nothing will be changed when you activate your Vietnam esim data plan. Your number, contacts, and conversations are automatically
Yes. To ensure that your Vietnan eSIM gets the best coverage, you must turn on data roaming on your mobile settings. No additional charges will be on your account, as long as you have already set up our eSIM.
If you cannot find the code, please contact our 24/7 customer support team at Support@Vietnam-visa.com or our online chat function. We will resend the code to your email.
If you use all your data or run out of days, your eSIM Vietnam will no longer work and you will lose your internet connection. In case you need more data, please buy a new one.
No. At the moment, you cannot renew the data on your Vietnam eSIM. However, you can purchase another eSIM if you need more data.
No, the data-only eSIM for Vietnam does not allow you to share data.
Set up your eSIM before your departure. Once you reach your destination, just activate the data plan and turn on data roaming. We recommend you print the QR code and take it with you on your vacation just in case.
Your eSIM can only be activated on one device. If you delete the eSIM from your device, you will not be able to reuse it. You cannot scan the QR code on two devices.
Yes, it works everywhere in Vietnam, even on the sea, like Halong Bay. Be free to share the moment on social media with eSIM data!
With the data-only eSIM, you can make the phone calls via an internet calling app like WhatsApp, Viber, or a social media platform like Facebook Messenger. In case you make call via your main phone number, be prepared to pay extra fees to your carrier.
In case you cannot connect to the internet after completing all steps above, please configure your APN as follows:
- For iOS devices: Go to Settings > General> Network > Cellular Data Network, and then enter APN as m9-itelecom.
- For Android 4 devices: Go to Menu > Settings >Wireless controls > Mobile networks > Access Point Name > Menu > New APN > Name as iTel > APN as m9-itelecom > Menu > Save > Press the circle button next to m9-itelecom to connect to the internet > Home
- For Android 2.3 devices: Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Network settings > Access Point Names > Name as iTel > APN as m9-itelecom
- For Window phone: Go to Cellular > Data connection > on – > Menu > Network Setup > Press … on the right corner and select Add APN > Enter m9-itelecom on APN field > Check on Make this my current APN box to activate your settings.
You can install more than one eSIM profile in your phone, but you can use only one at a time. To select the eSIM to be active, switch them in your Settings.
- For iPhones: > Settings > tap Cellular or Mobile Data > tap the plan you want to use > tap Turn On This Line.
- For Samsung Phones: > Settings > Connections > SIM card manager > switch the eSIM profile you want to use > Preferred SIM Card, select which SIM card will be used for calls, text messages and mobile data
- For Google Pixel Phones: > Settings > Network & Internet > SIMS > choose the eSIM you wish to use > Turn on Use SIM > choose Switch to [the eSIM you wish to use]
When your eSIM data gets out off, or when your eSIM profile get expired, you can remove it by:
- For iPhones: > Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Tap the plan you want to erase > Tap Remove Cellular Plan.
- For Samsung Phones: > Settings > Connections > SIM card manager > Tap Remove > If prompted, enter the current PIN, password or pattern then tap Continue > Review the info then tap Remove to confirm.
- For Google Pixel Phones: > Settings > Network & intetnet > choose SIMs > choose Erase SIM > choose Erase