If you are planning a leisure trip to Vietnam, the thing you must keep in mind is a Vietnam tourist visa, as it may ruin your trip in certain manners.
This is why we want to help you through full information about this type of Vietnam visa, including:
- What is a tourist visa for Vietnam?
- Who do not need a visa to visit Vietnam as a tourist?
- Vietnam tourist visa types?
- Vietnam tourist visa requirements?
- How to get a Vietnam tourist visa, processing time, and fees
- How to extend Vietnam tourist visa?
Now, let’s go on.
1. What is Vietnam tourist visa?
Vietnam tourist visa (DL) is one of the most popular types of Vietnam visa. It is an official document or stamp that authorizes an individual to enter Vietnam for the purpose of leisure and tourism. Certain travelers also call it a travel visa, or visitor visa, or holiday visa.
During their stay in Vietnam, tourist visa holders are not allowed to either work or do business purposes.
2. Who do not need a tourist visa for Vietnam?
Vietnam has exempted Vietnam tourist visa for certain nationalities under the bilateral and unilateral agreements.
Here are the cases of Vietnam tourist visa exemptions (waivers):
- Belarus (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Brunei (no tourist visa for up to 14 days in Vietnam)
- Cambodia (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- Chile (no tourist visa for up to 90 days in Vietnam)
- Denmark (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Finland (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- France (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Germany (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Indonesia (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- Italy (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Japan (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Kyrgyzstan (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- Laos (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- Malaysia (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- Myanmar (no tourist visa for up to 14 days in Vietnam)
- Norway (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Philippines (no tourist visa for up to 21 days in Vietnam)
- Panama (no tourist visa for up to 90 days in Vietnam)
- Russia (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Singapore (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- South Korea (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Spain (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Sweden (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- Thailand (no tourist visa for up to 30 days in Vietnam)
- United Kingdom (excluding BNO) (no tourist visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam)
- No tourist visa for those directly visiting Phu Quoc from a foreign country, staying there for no more than 30 days, and then leaving Phu Quoc for another country.
👉 Check full details here https://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption/.
3. Vietnam tourist visa types
Previously, Vietnam tourist visa is available in 5 types as follows:
- 1 month single entry visa,
- 1 month multiple entry visa,
- 3 month single entry visa,
- 3 month multiple entry visa, and
- 1 year multiple entry visa (for US Passport holders).
But, after Covid, a tourist visa for Vietnam is available in 30-day single entry form only. We will keep you updated immediately when other tourist visa types are resumed.
4. Vietnam tourist visa requirements
To get a tourist visa for Vietnam, you must make sure that:
- Your passport is valid for at least 06 months from your Vietnam entry date and has blank pages;
- Your Vietnam visa photo which is in hard copy or soft copy, depending on your way of applying for Vietnam tourist visa;
- A completed Vietnam tourist visa form (in paper or online); and
- Visa fees.
5. How to get a Vietnam tourist visa?
There are 02 ways to get a tourist visa for Vietnam, consisting:
- Applying for Vietnam tourist visa online, and
- Applying for Vietnam tourist visa at Vietnam embassy/consulate
5.1. Apply for Vietnam tourist visa online
There are 02 forms of Vietnam tourist visa that can be applied for online, which are:
5.1.2 Apply for Vietnam e-visa
This type of Vietnam tourist visa is only available for citizens of 80 countries, consisting of: Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China (including Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR passport holders, not applicable to Chinese e-passport holders), Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Salomons Islands, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Timor Leste, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, and Western Samoa.
👉How to apply for the Vietnam e-visa with us:
👉Why apply with us?
- Quick and guaranteed processing: 4 working hours, same-day processing, 2-3 working days, depending on your choice.
- Full package fee. No hidden charges.
- 24/7 support.
5.1.2 Apply for Vietnam tourist visa on arrival (VOA)
Vietnam tourist visa on arrival is the type of visa that the applicants will first apply online for a visa approval letter, and then get visa stamped upon arrival at Vietnam airport.
Before Covid, this type of tourist visa for Vietnam was available for almost travelers, entering Vietnam via any of 8 international airports of Vietnam (consisting of Noi Bai in Hanoi, Tan Son Nhat in HCMC, Cat Bi in Hai Phong, Da Nang in Da Nang City, Can Tho in Can Tho City, Lien Khuong in Da Lat and Phu Quoc on Phu Quoc island).
But currently, we can only help certain travelers to get this type of visa for Vietnam valid for up to 25 days under the package to be detailed herein.
Our Vietnam tourist visa on arrival package covers:
- Vietnam tourist visa approval letter,
- 2 nights at 4*star hotels in Hanoi/HCMC upon your arrival in Vietnam,
- Vietnam travel insurance.
Important notes to this tourist visa on arrival package:
- The processing time of the Vietnam tourist visa approval letter is 5 – 7 working days.
- You will need to pay the stamping fee at Vietnam airport, which is US $25.
- You must leave Vietnam by your visa expiry date.
- This package does not work for Vietnam e-visa countries and certain nationalities.
👉Feel free to contact us at Hotline/WhatsApp/Viber/Zalo +84.946.583.583 or Support@Vietnam-visa.com, or complete the form below to check whether you are eligible for this package and get your quote!
5.2 Apply for Vietnam embassy tourist visa
This way of tourist visa application has been suspended since the outbreak of Covid 19 and has not been resumed yet.
If you are not eligible for an eVisa, or visa on arrival, or want to have the visa already on your passport when you enter Vietnam, then you can opt for applying at an Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam near you.
In this case, you have to find the nearest Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate (find a list of the Vietnamese Embassies and Consulates here) and then either send the documents yourself or through the mail.
👉Here is the process that you may have to follow:
- Contact the embassy you are applying for the visa with for guidance to prepare the visa application documents, procedure and fees
- Prepare the document as guided
- Visit the embassy to submit the visa documents and pay the visa fees
- Visit the embassy again to receive the visa and original passport
Its processing time and cost may vary depending on the embassy/consulate.
6. How to extend a Vietnam tourist visa?
At the moment, a Vietnam tourist visa cannot be extended in Vietnam. In order to further remain in Vietnam after it gets expired, many travelers opt to do a visa run.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. The procedure, required documents, processing time, and cost of getting a tourist visa at the Vietnam embassy may vary from embassy to embassy. Please contact the embassy directly for details if you wish to obtain the visa this way.
In order to process an approval letter for Vietnam tourist visa (sometimes called Vietnam travel visas), you need to provide us with the following information:
- Full name on passport
- Your date of birth
- Your Nationality on passport
- Your passport number
- Travel dates. They are not required to be exact, planned ones can be provided.
No, you cannot. 1 year tourist visa is currently available for US passports only. If you are from other countries, you can only apply for 1 or 3 month tourist visa only.
Q: I’m not eligible for a Vietnam e-visa. How can I get my tourist visa for Vietnam?
A: In case you are not eligible for an e-visa for Vietnam, you must go on a tour organized by a tour company that will be responsible for your presence in Vietnam. And we can help you. Please contact us via our email Support@Vietnam-visa.com or Hotline/WhatsApp/Zalo/Viber No. +84.946.583.583
No, you can’t.
No employment is allowed while you are in Vietnam on a tourist visa. And if you are caught working illegally, you’ll end up in a world of trouble. As such, you are not advised to do so.
If you want to work in Vietnam, first find an employer who is willing to apply for your work permit.